Labels

Monday, May 9, 2011

Night

In Ray Bradbury's novel, Fahrenheit 451, there was a group of people who memorized books to keep them alive in society. Thankfully, in this day and age people are not faced with the dilemma of choosing one book to carry with them forever by memory. But what if they did? When I got asked the question of which book I would memorize, I drew a blank. I love to read. It's one of my favorite things to do. Over a summer, I usually read at least 10 books. It may sound like a small amount to avid readers, but to me that's enough to fit into my schedule. My problem is that when I read a book, I'm finished within a day or two. Because when I read a book, I only continue reading if I enjoy it, and if I enjoy it then there is nothing that can pry me away from that book (unless it's food). So even though I've read numerous books and loved them all, it would be impossible for me to sit and make a list of all of their titles. I simply just can't remember.
Most of the books that I read are what most people would consider "mooshy gooshy girly". I've traveled with Bella, Jacob, and Edward through all 4 books in the Twilight Saga. I've followed a murder case in all 8 of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series before it became a smash hit television show (which makes me very angry because they've changed the story completely). And of course the wonderful Sarah Dessen who creates numerous books that make me cry and feel like I'm not alone in the world.



I love all of these books. Each one has brought something new to my world. The only problem is that I don't find any of them worth memorizing. Yes, they are amazing books and yes, I would definitely recommend others to read them. But if I was to choose one book to memorize to keep alive in society it would be Night By Elie Wiesel. Pretty different from my normal read, right? But I love this book more than I can describe. I've read it at least 4 times, and each time sparks new feelings and admiration for the victims of the Holocaust. This book is not only an amazing read, but it's also a true story. A true story of a real man who endured real pain. I can't explain any other feelings towards this book other than that I just adore it. Usually, my stomach and heart can't handle pain. I block out most of it in my life, even during a scary movie. But for some reason when I  read through this book I don't mind closing my eyes at the "scary parts" or flinching when something bad is about to occur. It all seems too real to me when I read the book, and for once I don't mind. This book is the only exception to my rule.

1 comment:

  1. Remind me to tell you what I think of Bella --- I've never read Night, but I know I HAVE to. I can tell you love to read - because you love learning... the two go hand in hand :)
    10/10

    ReplyDelete